Prevention, Projects, & Planning
For many Executive Directors/Managers of non-profit organizations, capital projects and planning is not their area of expertise. Don Epp, Facility Planner, is on staff to provide advice and support on a variety of building matters. This free consulting service is available to organizations that are being supported by Community Living Service Delivery of the Ministry of Social Services to undertake capital projects.
Projects range from land acquisition, facility purchases, renovations, and new construction. Listed below are some of the areas Don is available to advise on, along with some of the questions that often surround these areas:
1. Facility development planning –
- We are approved to build a group home for 4 people, what do we do next?
- Will this land/property meet our needs?
- What are the procedures or steps to follow to build or renovate?
2. Inspecting existing properties to evaluate suitability for occupancy/renovation –
- Can we convert this house into a group home?
- What are the long-term possibilities of this property?
- What items do we look for in a house so the people who live there can age in place?
3. Planning the effective utilization of space and facilities –
- What do we need to do to make this bathroom wheelchair accessible?
- How can we better accommodate people with limited mobility in our building?
- What are some ideas for developing our unfinished basement?
4. Providing advice on building codes and government agency building requirements –
- If we renovate will we need to add fire sprinklers?
- Can we fit a wheelchair ramp in our garage?
- The Health Inspector says our hot water is too hot; how do we correct this?
5. Providing cost estimates for new builds or capital improvement –
- Can we get help to plan a budget for this renovation?
- We have a limited budget; what are some options we can explore?
- To update/renovate our building, how much would it cost?
6. Providing aid in preparation for occupancy –
- What do we need to do before we can move into our newly renovated building?
- What documentation do we need to complete during the building process?
- What type of inspections are required before we can get our license?
Capital projects are a major investment for your organization, and Don is able to provide advice during the process. Having this support on-hand benefits organizations, as priorities can be identified and options can be provided in long-term capital planning.
For more information on how this service can assist your organization in the planning and building stages of your next project, please contact us.
Don has also created a blog series of helpful checklists and tips for preventative maintenance. From tips on fire safety, protecting your plumbing, accessibility, and everything in between – Don has the advice you need to help protect your organization from expensive repair costs by doing regular maintenance.
A Fresh Approach to Facility Planning and Preventative Maintenance
Keeping the Summer Feeling Going—Stay Cool This Summer with Overheating Prevention Tips
5 Fall Maintenance Tips– How To Prepare for the Cooler Weather
Improving Air Quality for Healthy Living
Have a (Fire) Safe and Merry Christmas!
12 Tips to Stay Warm this Winter
Love your pipes! 9 Ways to Avoid Plumbing Problems
Spring Cleaning - 3 Essential Maintenance Tips
Accessibility in Residential Buildings
Maintenance Overview for a Healthy & Happy Building